Over Time

Created by Megan Mayer, November 2008.

I was interested in tensions created when a human form, all curves and jangled limbs, enters the space and intersects with the right-angled architecture and sterile textures of a cubicle. The movement score was inspired by a conversation about “dying at your desk” due to lack of retirement funds, and gloriously schmaltzy versions of “Moon River” (101 Strings and Lawrence Welk, respectively) provided an overall tone. We shot quietly, at night, and I layered in the music afterwards. Editing the footage initially felt overwhelming due to the many potential decisions I could make, but ultimately I found it exciting to compose the frame and choose when to employ movement, music, silence and stillness.

Megan Mayer is a performing artist, choreographer and photographer based in Minneapolis. A 2009 Momentum artist, her dancework has been commissioned by the Walker Art Center, Southern Theater, Minnesota History Center and Nicolas Lincoln. As a performer, she has had the great fortune of appearing in works by Charles Campbell, Laurie Van Wieren, Kevin Obsatz and Karen Sherman.

Click the link below to support the work of these artists:

About the Author

The Author has not yet added any info about himself

7 Comments

1. siobahn

Posted on 2 Dec ’09 at 7:02 am

i laughed, i cried to get out of my cube, i felt the need to unbutton your top button and drink espresso. you rocked this shit.

2. Tim Heitman

Posted on 2 Dec ’09 at 2:05 pm

brilliant.

3. Office Brat

Posted on 2 Dec ’09 at 2:33 pm

I love copy machines and you above them.

4. Vera Mariner

Posted on 2 Dec ’09 at 4:47 pm

Endearing. Charming. Hilarious and sad….. Megan you are too a genius.

5. Alison Cutlan

Posted on 15 Dec ’09 at 7:31 pm

Beautiful, tragic, funny, elegant… Megan, youre a master.lovelocks!

6. Charles

Posted on 18 Dec ’09 at 7:28 pm

I rillyrilly like the copy machine stop-motion machine and its green light. And the many deaths, with coffee cup. And when you die sometimes you need to get up again. And the looking up at the light like youre six feet under. And the moving with your head way back. And at the beginning the wait, what did I come out here for entrance and pause and the cautious rear retreat. And wheres the post, oh there it is. And the big face little hand. My hand Yes, I guess thats my hand. And just before the second music someone drags the body out of sight. In Heaven everyone gets hair designed by R. Keith.Did the copy machine get any of that

7. Nor Hall

Posted on 1 Jan ’10 at 12:25 pm

it ALMOST makes me want to go back to the office again